Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Do people still send chain letters?

Recently I had heard someone mention chain letters and I thought to myself, "I don't think I've received a chain letter in a loooong time".  I wondered, "Do people still send chain letters or have we finally gotten over them?"  Apparently before email, people would send chain letters by mail!  I think I'm a bit too young for that because I don't remember receiving any of those.


I do remember when I was younger that I would receive chain letters through email.  I wouldn't say a large amount, but I definitely would receive them every so often.  I always thought they were stupid (or at least that's what I'd like to think I always thought) and I don't think I passed them on...


How are they going to know that I didn't forward the email!  Who is this outside entity that is going to come suffocate me in the night if I don't forward the email to 10,000 people in the next 20 seconds!?  How is Bill Gates going to know how to send the money to me!  I better forward along my home address!


It might be that the lack of chain emails that I receive now is due to a generation growing up and deciding that they've had enough of them.  Or maybe that's only true of the people I correspond with.  Regardless, it's probably true that "a sucker is born every minute" and that chain emails are alive and well among younger and/or more gullible members of the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment