Monday, March 5, 2012

For, err hmm

The other week I decided that I was going to forgo working out in order to rest my sore elbow. For some reason I was thinking about if I told someone this I would say that I for, uh forgoed(?) my workout, or maybe I forwent it? Both of them sounded somewhat wrong or awkward and I don't think I had ever heard someone say the past tense of forgo out loud.

To the internet! It seems that I'm not the only one to wonder about this. Apparently in some places forgoed is used (even though go -> goed doesn't make sense) and in others forwent is more common (also don't get confused with forego and forewent). In the online dictionaries and even this blog spell checker forgoed isn't found and forwent is.

I think the best quote someone had was "Personally, I would work very, very hard to avoid writing either forwent or forewent. I'm not saying either of these is wrong, but I am saying that they are odd, eccentric, alien words." I tend to agree; I skipped my workouts this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment