Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hockey Tape

I've played hockey quite a bit, though only roller and floor hockey, never ice.  Throughout this time I've taped my hockey sticks.  On the blades and on the top of the shaft.  I knew that taping the shaft would give you a better grip and the knob on the end can make it easier to hold onto.  But I'm embarrassed to say that I never really thought about why people tape the blade of the stick.

I guess it makes sense that since taping the shaft of the stick can give you a better grip on it that taping the blade can give you a better grip on the puck (or ball I suppose) and allow better stick handling.  Apparently taping the blade helps to protect against impact as well as water damage during game play.  If the tape is black (like the puck) it can help to distract the goalie or if it's on the goalie's stick then I believe I've seen it make it more difficult to tell if the puck crossed the line in some cases.

Less functional reasons include giving the stick a unique appearance or style or simply doing it out of superstition.  Also since taping the stick is simple and methodical it can help to distract the mind before a big game.

No comments:

Post a Comment