Monday, September 10, 2012

Crows vs Ravens

Sometimes things will come up in discussion or I'll just wonder about something and then never actually take the time to look into it.  The differences between crows and ravens was one of those things; but no more.  Without reading anything my thoughts basically were that ravens were bigger.  And probably less annoying.

I haven't exactly had positive experiences with crows.  On a certain section of the walk to my high school there were some trees where crows liked to hang out.  Occasionally while walking to school I could tell they were extra agitated with their intense cawing.  Then when I wasn't looking a crow would swoop down close enough to brush against my hair.  I discovered that if I faced the crows they wouldn't swoop at me, so I would walk that section backwards if I felt threatened by them.  Ravens couldn't be any worse than that.

It appears I was not incorrect.  Apparently a raven weighs about four times as much as a crow and is noticeably larger.  Ravens make a less annoying lower pitched sound.  They also have a curved bill and more wedge-shaped tail.  Crows are more social than ravens which allows them to do better in an urban environment.  I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen a raven but they sound cool enough to me.  This video goes into more detail on the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment