Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why do mexican toilets all have garbage cans?

I was in Mexico City for the last week or so and my stomach wasn't feeling all that well a fair amount of the time.  Because of this I frequented the bathrooms often and noticed that all of them contained a small garbage can.

This probably should have caused me to put my used toilet paper in the garbage (what else are you going to put in there) especially after seeing other used pieces in them (ewww).  However I happily kept flushing them down without seeming to cause the toilets to clog, though I was probably messing something else up further down.  Despite this the toilets seemed to function well overall and I can only imagine that at least a few of the other people from the many different countries were doing the same thing as me.

There were no signs indicating that I shouldn't flush the toilet paper because I guess it's just standard practice.  After reading a bit more about this it seems like some Mexican people when they first come to the US have the opposite problem and because of their habits put the dirty toilet paper on the ground in absence of a garbage can!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they're for feminine hygiene products too?

    I once read somewhere that many guys, when furnishing their bathrooms, often overlook a wastebasket of some sort. This is a problem for lady visitors who need said wastebasket-of-some-sort to dispose of whatever-the-hell-they-need-to-dispose-of-and-you-better-not-ask-too-many-questions-because-you're-on-thin-ice-already-unless-you-have-chocolate-because-chocolate-will-usually-tame-the-beast.

    Take note.

    ReplyDelete