Monday, April 23, 2012

Duotangs

Brightly coloured with those metal fastener things.  I have fond memories of colourful title pages and forcing holes into unpunched pieces of paper.  I was wondering recently, do kids still use duotangs?  I remember using them in elementary school, and I think around high school I switched over to binders so it might just be an elementary school thing where they're alive and well?


After having switched to binders I wonder why anyone would actually want to use duotangs over them!  I'm having trouble remembering exactly, but were you even able to put a new piece of paper anywhere in the middle?  It was also annoying having to open and close all the fasteners every time.  Blegh.  I suppose they're better for compactness.  And they were often quite colourful which could be considered a plus.

One thing I do remember is that each fastener had two separate metal things to fold over to keep the pages in place.  What I noticed was that there was a distinct divide between kids who would fold both of them to the same side and those that folded them in opposite directions.  I tended to do the latter and it always felt wrong to me that there were people out there that would fold them in the same direction!  There are two of them!  Why are you folding them the same way!?!

1 comment: