Monday, May 31, 2010

Hop skip and a jump

To set the scene; it was evening, somewhat dark. I was wearing dark pants, a dark jacket and dark shoes. So if you didn't look at my face it would be fair to say I was somewhat difficult to see.

Anyhow, I was walking along the sidewalk thinking about nothing
and everything and began to cross the street. The street I was crossing was a side street, stop signs but no traffic lights. I did the usual left right check for cars and started across.

All was well until about two-thirds of the way across. Apparently someone was in a bit of a rush and decided to cut the left turn onto the street I was walking across. With it being dark and me staring straight ahead, or maybe the van had been moving quite quickly, I didn't see it coming until the last second.


Very quickly I was able to determine that it was not in fact going to stop and that I better get the hell out of the way. With a hop skip and a jump I leapt to the other side of the sidewalk just barely making it out of the way. It was a little like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR8913v_WCE but not quite as cool.

Safely on the other side I turned around to see the car stopped just past the stop sign (apparently he had seen me too). I gave a little wave, turned around and kept walking. No harm no foul I suppose. It got the blood pumping a little bit and I wa
s a bit more cautious and aware at the subsequent intersections.

Below is an artist's rendition from a bird's eye view:

PS: I wouldn't have told a certain someone if I had broken my leg.

1 comment: